What to Do If You Are Sexually Assaulted

These are important steps to take right away after an assault:

  • Get away from the attacker to a safe place as fast as you can.
  • Call 911 or the police.
  • Call a friend or family member you trust. You also can call a crisis center or a hotline to talk with a counselor.  One hotline is the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673). Feelings of shame, guilt, fear, and shock are normal. It is important to get counseling from a trusted professional.
  • Do not wash, comb, or clean any part of your body. Do not change clothes if possible, so the hospital staff can collect evidence. Do not touch or change anything at the scene of the assault.
  • Go to your nearest hospital emergency room as soon as possible. You need to be examined, treated for any injuries, and screened for possible sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or pregnancy. The doctor will collect evidence using a rape kit for fibers, hairs, saliva, semen, or clothing that the attacker may have left behind.

While at the hospital:

  • If you decide you want to file a police report, you or the hospital staff can call the police from the emergency room.
  • Ask the hospital staff to connect you with the local rape crisis center.  The center staff can help you make choices about reporting the attack and getting help through counseling and support groups.

- HCC offers free, comprehensive wellness services through the WellConnect Student Assistance Program.  Through WellConnect, students, their families and members of their household have access to one-on-one, 24/7 mental health counseling as well as numerous other resources.

Students can access WellConnect at any time by calling 800-326-6142 (voice/TTY) or via the WellConnect website at https://wellconnect.cuthrive.com/.  Students in need of support on campus during normal college business hours (Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.) should come to the Student Affairs office in FR224 or contact us at (413) 552-2390 for immediate assistance.


Holyoke Community College
303 Homestead Ave. Holyoke, MA 01040
(413) 538-7000