HCC seeks applicants for the 2013 McKenna Award
Holyoke Community College seeks experienced costume designers to apply for the 2013 McKenna Award, which annually recognizes someone who works in theater to apply his or her expertise toward a full theatrical production at HCC that will be entered into the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival.
The award comes with a $1,500 stipend. The recipient will work on the 2013 production of The Foreigner by Larry Shue, directed by Tom Geha.
- Design the costumes and guide construction for the fall 2013 production
- Attend production meetings in order to answer questions and communicate the details of the design (before and during the construction phase)
- Present approved costume renderings at the preliminary design meeting, final design meeting and first readthrough In September
- Work closely with the production manager to insure that the production budget can support the design
- Collaborate with Theater Practicum students, providing opportunities for students to construct portions of the design
- Utilize stock material and a limited budget in order to create costumes that can assist the actors and directors in the telling of the story.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Earned at least a Bachelor's degree in theatre
- Has experience working in a professional costume design capacity
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates the ability to work within imposed financial and personnel limitations (and can adapt when necessary)
- Will meet all deadlines as set forth in a preliminary September meeting
- Will assist in the construction of specific elements of the design.
Letters and resumes will be reviewed by members of the HCC theater faculty.
- Individuals eligible include: set designer, choreographer, stage manager, technician, actor, or director
- Must be available to apply expertise to a fully-realized theatrical production mounted by the Holyoke Community College theater faculty and entered into the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival
- Preference will be given to individuals who work or live within a 50-mile radius of Holyoke, MA
- HCC theater faculty will determine the services most relevant for each year's production and advertise for such through Theater Department funds
- Full-time faculty members are ineligible for the award
- Adjunct faculty may apply for the award
- An individual may only receive the award once.
A stipend of $1,500 will be given to the designated individual. The HCC Foundation will release half of the funds upon notification of recipient and half at completion of services.
Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents by August 1, 2013:
2) Letter of Interest (cover letter). When preparing your cover letter, please refer to the minimum and preferred qualifications as pertaining to this position and, if applicable, include an equivalency statement.
3) List of references with the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.
Send application materials to:
Holyoke Community College Theater Department
Attn: Tim Cochran
303 Homestead Ave.
Holyoke, MA 010402
About the Lani Morrison McKenna Award
The award celebrates the life of Lani Morrison McKenna - actress, theater aficionado, and lover of all things theatrical. It is intended to recognize a designer, choreographer, stage manager, technician, actor, or director who applies his/her expertise to a fully-realized theatrical production mounted by the Holyoke Community College theater faculty and entered into the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival.