STEM Starter Academy
Are you interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)? Want to know more about STEM disciplines, studies, and careers? Register now for HCC's free STEM Academy!
Steps to Enroll if New to HCC
- Fill out the HCC Application.
- Take a placement test for reading and math (you'll receive an appointment by mail).
- Upon completion of your placement test, you will be directed to meet with an advisor. Let them know you're interested in the free STEM Starter Academy courses.
Visit the Advising Center or go to Online Services with your Registration Code (if required), and let your advisor know you're interested in the free STEM Starter Academy courses.
About STEM Starter Academy
In 2014, HCC and other community colleges received grant funds from the Department of Higher Education to establish a STEM Academy. The purpose was to support community colleges in their efforts to recruit, retain, and graduate significantly more students in STEM pathway programs leading to job placement or college transfer to higher level STEM academic programs.
HCC's STEM Academy goals are to:
- Increase student awareness of and access to STEM programs of study and career opportunities
- Enhance student readiness for and recruiting into STEM pathway programs
- Improve student retention based on academic success and overcoming "life barriers"
- Increase completion through award of certificates or degrees and pathways to STEM jobs or transfer to higher level STEM academic programs
Classes run January 28 – May 23
stem life science
Learn about botany, genetics, geology, human biology, oceanography, gene technologies, and population growth.
|SEM 130.01 10924||M||11 a.m. – 1:29 p.m.|
|SEM 130.02 10925||F||11 a.m. – 1:29 p.m.|
stem physical science
Learn about physics, technology, basic principles of engineering, chemistry, astronomy, radioactivity, the disposal of nuclear waste, fossil fuels, and nuclear energy.
|SEM 130.03 11318||T||11:30 a.m. – 1:59 p.m.|
|SEM 130.04 11319||R||11:30 a.m. – 1:59 p.m.|
topics in computer science
Learn about new and emerging technology, mobile apps, cybersecurity, phone and PC vulnerabilities, mobile platforms, and growth in technology.
|CSI 150.01 11545||T||3 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.|
|R||3 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.|
developmental math in spanish
Fulfill the math prerequisite and be ready to take college level math!
|MTH 020.52 11088||MW||4 p.m. – 5:50 p.m.|