The Firefighter Fitness Trainer Certificate is designed to prepare the student to assume the role of fitness instructor within the firefighting community.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Define the roles and responsibilities of the firefighter fitness counselor.
- Identify the components of fitness and relate components to wellness.
- Identify the physical demands and training needs specific to firefighting.
- Identify how wellness and physical fitness translate to firefighter safety and decreased medical expenses.
- Describe and discuss human movement from physiological and biomechanical perspectives.
- Define ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) guidelines for developing aerobic and muscular training programs and develop an appropriate program for firefighters based on the ACSM guidelines.
- Describe and administer fitness assessments for each of the components of fitness and relate findings to fitness program design.
- Discuss exercise programming considerations for populations with medical concerns and explain basic emergency medical care.
- Define and demonstrate leadership competencies such as effective counseling skills and motivational techniques.