The purpose of this certificate is to provide students the opportunity to learn and practice in the field of medical billing as an entry into the field of health information management. Students will have the opportunity to perform medical billing procedures in order to complete health insurance claims according to the requirements of the health insurance industry. Upon completion of the certificate, students are prepared to work in a physician's office, long-term care facilities, insurance and billing departments, health information management departments, and hospitals.
Upon completion the student will:
- Be able to describe the field of electronic medical records.
- Document proficiency in preparing the documentation necessary in medical billing.
- Demonstrate a basic proficiency in anatomy and physiology to the extent required for medical billing, coding and insurancepersonnel.
- Be able to prepare billing documents and provide record quality control.
- Practice medical billing skills in an electronic environment.
- Through co-op placement, be workplace ready upon graduation.
- Be eligible to sit for the following Massachusetts State and National Exams:
- Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS) Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
- National Certified Insurance & Coding Specialist (NCICS) Exam through the National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- Certified Professional Biller (CPB) Exam through the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
- Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) Exam through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
Gainful Employment Disclosure