The English option is designed for students who wish to broaden and deepen their love of literature while earning an associate's degree in liberal arts.
What will you learn?
The English option is designed for students who wish to broaden and deepen their love of literature while earning an associate's degree in liberal arts. Students who pursue the English option will discover important literary works in a variety of voices, genres, and styles while gaining valuable skills in critical thinking and effective communication. The English option provides transfer students with a strong academic foundation, enabling them to pursue a bachelor's degree in English or numerous other disciplines.
By completing the English option in Liberal Arts, students will:
- become familiar with major authors, genres, styles, and movements
- understand a range of literary issues in historical, social, political, and cultural contexts
- develop close reading and critical thinking skills
- develop a clear academic writing style
- develop strong research skills
- expand knowledge and understanding of human condition and culture
- become familiar with common critical approaches to literature
What will you do?
This degree prepares students for transfer and provides a strong academic foundation for the pursuit of a bachelor's degree in English or numerous other disciplines. To explore your options, visit HCC's Advising, Career & Transfer Center.
60 total credits
35-36 credits General Education Requirements + 21 credits Program Requirements
Depending on course selection, approximately 50% of this program may be completed online.
General Education Requirements
Choose any course(s) in the college catalog.
Recommended Arts and Science courses: ENG 113, ENG 217, ENG 227, ENG 231, and ENG 232.