Hospitality Management (Career)
What will you learn?
The Hospitality Management Career Option prepares students for various types of management positions in the hospitality industry. Career opportunities in this fast-growing industry exist in such diverse sectors as travel and tourism, lodging, the restaurant industry, recreation and leisure, gaming entertainment, and conference and meeting planning.
Upon graduating from this program, students will be able to:
- Use general business skills as well as functionally-based hospitality industry skills to define relationships between situations and understand professional terminology and concepts within the industry
- Use mathematics and a business-oriented approach to identify, define, respond to and evaluate problem resolutions to global hospitality industry problems
- Understand the current ethical and social issues in the hospitality industry
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and customers using a variety of information resources
- Work effectively in an organization and as a member of a team and give first-hand industry experience
What will you do?
Job and career options include:
- Food & Beverage Management
- Banquet & Catering Management
- Corporate & Event Planning
- Food Service Production
61 total credits
20 credits General Education Requirements + 35 credits Program Requirements
Depending on course selection, 80% of this program can be completed online.
General Education Requirements
This course explores the basic statements of an accounting system: the Balance Sheet, the Income Statement, and the Statement of Retained Earnings. Students will examine the accounting cycle with an emphasis on the methods of accumulating and summarizing data generated by business transactions. Students will apply their manual accounting skills to an automated accounting system using a learning management system. Areas of concentration will include adjusting entries, closing process, inventory analysis, merchandising transactions, cash control procedures, and receivables. Prerequisite: Eligibility for MTH 085
Choose 2 courses from the following selection; ACC, BUS, CUL, HCA, LAW, MGT, MKT, MTH, NTR and SPO.
Students who intend to transfer should look at the following option: B051 Hospitality Management Transfer. The hospitality transfer option is a MassTransfer degree intended for UMass (2.7 GPA required) and other state schools, and is also the best option for transferability to other four-year programs.
Program Electives: Choose 2 courses from the following selection; ACC, BUS, CUL, HCA, LAW, MGT, MKT, MTH, NTR, SPO