Community Partners & Projects
Service Learning is an educational initiative in which students complete a project in the community that directly relates to the objectives of a course and meets the needs of the community-based organization. A variety of partners and projects have been able to enrich the educational experineces of our students.
Service-Learning Community Partners
Projects are created collaboratively with a community partner-any project is possible!
Some examples of HCC Service-Learning projects:
- An Earth Science course in which students test waters for nitrates and report/present their findings to the Connecticut River Valley Watershed Council
- An English and Human Services Learning Community where students learn about writing as a tool for healing and self-discovery, and then work with teen mothers studying poetry at the Care Center
- A Web Design course where students design new websites for community-based organizations in Holyoke
- An English and Sociology Learning Community on teen pregnancy in which students learn about poetry alongside teen mothers studying at the Care Center, and design an assessment tool for a teen pregnancy prevention program at the Holyoke Boys and Girls Club
- A Robotics course in which students instruct the youth at the Holyoke Boys and Girl's Club in the designing, building and programming of robots
- A Nutrition course in which students create an activity, a healthy recipe, and content for a lesson plan that teaches a nutritional concept to children at the Holyoke and Westfield Boys and Girls Clubs
- A Marketing course in which students break into teams--one team completes a much-needed marketing plan/strategy for developing a new retail store run by Providence Ministries, the other team creates a much-needed survey for the Holyoke YMCA
- A Nursing course in which students partner with the Holyoke Health Center's initiative that links literacy and health under Reach Out and Read
For more information on anything related to service-learning, see Lisa Mahon, Don 357, 552-2369, firstname.lastname@example.org.