Local History Collection
The Local History Collection houses books that cover the cities, towns, counties, schools, industry, architecture and geography of Western Massachusetts.
- Connecticut River Valley
- Quabbin Reservoir
- Holyoke mills
- Religions and ethnicity of Holyoke citizens
- Pictorial essays of surrounding areas from Amherst to Westfield
- Local colleges
- The history of UMass/Amherst
- Mount Holyoke and Mary Lyon
- Smith College and Sophia Smith
- Hampden County, 1636-1936
- Hampshire County, prehistory-1900
- Crane Company in Dalton
- Historic Deerfield
- Massachusetts' historic buildings
- Northfield Mount Hermon
- and much more
The Collection is available to patrons Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. For access to the collection, inquire at the Circulation Desk.
The entire local history is cataloged in the online catalog. A paper index is also available at the Circulation Desk.
The Local History Collection contains valuable and often irreplaceable materials. Consequently, controlled access is necessary. Local History materials do not circulate. Depending on the age and condition of an item, photocopy restrictions may apply. Only pencils may be used while working with these materials.