Use of Library Instruction Room and Computer Lab Policy
The Library Instruction Room was created to support student research needs. The room is available whenever the library is open and the closes fifteen minutes before the library does. While the room is usually available to all students, it is also used for Library Instruction classes which are taught by one of the librarians or by the faculty themselves. If it is needed, faculty can also schedule a follow-up class to provide additional research time in the library. The room contains over half of the library's public computers and is heavily used so cannot be scheduled for classes that are not focused on library research because of the students' growing need for computer access to do research.
Priority Use of the Library Instruction Room/Computer Lab
- The library lab is primarily an instructional lab reserved for library instruction sessions taught by librarians at the request of teaching faculty.
- The library lab is also available for faculty taught library instruction sessions coordinated through the library.
- The library lab is available for library related staff training.
- The library lab is available for use of students when no classes are scheduled.
- During an instructional session only enrolled students of the class and the instructor may be in the room.
- HCC faculty may schedule library instructional session by contacting 413-552-2424 or by using the online form at http://www.hcc.edu/campus/library/faculty_schedule_class.html
- Faculty may schedule an additional session in order to assist their students with research but because of the heavy use, this is limited to one additional session.
- The lab is not available for use by non-library classes.
- The lab closes 15 minutes before the library closes.
- Room is cleared out and reserved for your class. Please notify the library of any cancellations and arrive on time.
- Faculty is expected to be present for the duration of the instruction sessions.
General Computer Use
- The lab's schedule for each day is posted next to the entrance.
- All patrons using computers at the HCC Library must abide by the "Acceptable Use of Information Systems Policy".
- There is no printer in the lab; all print jobs are sent to the printer located in the reference area.
- Problems related print accounts resetting should be directed to the Welcome Center.