Holyoke Community College will continue its series of free classes this spring for veterans and their families while expanding the number locations they are offered.
Called "Vet2Vet," the 10 single-session classes are designed to support, inform, educate and facilitate networking of veterans for personal and professional growth. The classes are all taught by veterans of the U.S. military and are only open to veterans and their family members.
HCC is running the classes in partnership with the Springfield Vet Center, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs office in West Springfield; the Holyoke Soldiers' Home; Veterans Outreach into Community Action; Soldier On; Veterans Inc.; and Employment Support of the Guard and Reserve.
"We're trying to offer these programs in a very collaborative and consistent fashion," said Ken White, HCC's dean of Community Services and the organizer of Vet2Vet. "We have twice as many partners now, and four new classes and three new locations."
The Spring Vet2Vet series begins at HCC on Tues., March 1, with "Transitioning to Civilian Life" from 1-4 p.m. The other classes include:
· Leadership Skills for Veterans: Mon., March 21, 6-9 p.m., Holyoke Soldiers' Home, Cherry St., Holyoke.
· Getting Control Over Your Finances: Thurs., March 31, 1-4 p.m., Veterans Inc., Bldg. 1, STCC Technology Park, Federal St., Springfield. (NEW CLASS)
· Left, Right, Left: Sat., April 2, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m., Dept. of Veterans Affairs Hospital, N. Main St., Leeds. (NEW CLASS)
· Current & Pending Veterans Legislation: Fri., April 8, 6-8 p.m., Holyoke Soldiers' Home. (NEW CLASS).
· Female Vets: Realities Back Home: Fri., April 15, 1-3 p.m., HCC, Homestead Ave., Holyoke.
· From Combat to Classroom: Fri., April 29, 1-3 p.m., Springfield Vet Center, Ashley Ave., W. Springfield.
· Getting Maximum Benefit from Your Benefits: Tues., May 3, 1-4 p.m., Veterans Inc. (NEW CLASS)
· Career Development & Enhancement: Wed., May 11, 1-3 p.m., Franklin Hampshire Career Center, Industrial Drive, Northampton.
· Veterans' Life Forum: Thurs., May 26, 1-4 p.m., Holyoke Soldiers' Home.
Please click HERE for class descriptions, including information on the class instructors.
To register for a class, go to www.hcc.edu/bce or call 413.552-2324.
PHOTOS by CHRIS YURKO: (Left) Francisco Urena, secretary for the state Dept. of Veterans Services, greets HCC student-veteran Ed Dice, '15, last fall at a Vet2Vet program announcement on campus. (Right) Veterans from the Holyoke Soldiers' Home attend the Veterans Day ceremony at HCC in November. (Thumbnail) HCC student-veteran Ed Dice, '15, organized last November's Veterans Day celebration at HCC.