Health Services

Staffed by a registered nurse, HCC's Student Health Services Office provides first aid treatment, immunizations, medical referrals, physical examinations for students participating in HCC sports programs, and information on how to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Students can also obtain information about the Student Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan and Massachusetts immunization law. Concerns necessitating hospitalization, surgery, or psychiatric treatment are referred to appropriate agencies and nearby hospitals.

Immunization Requirements

Massachusetts law (Chapter 76, Section 15C) requires that all students carrying 12 or more credits must submit proof, within 30 days of registering for courses, of immunization against the following:

  • Measles, mumps, and rubella (need two MMR shots)
  • Pertussis-containing tetanus shot called Tdap (administered after 2005)
  • Hepatitis B (need 3 shots)
  • Chickenpox (need 2 shots)

Documentation of positive anti body titers for measles, mumps, rubella, hepatitis B, and varicella is acceptable. Immunization records can be obtained from the student's high school, physician's office, military records, or other colleges attended, and must be submitted to HCC Health Services for review.

Students with incomplete or outdated immunizations are required to receive updated vaccinations and are invited to receive them at HCC Health Services office for a nominal fee; please call (413) 552- 2401 for an appointment and more information.

Students in the following health science majors must supply complete immunization records upon application to the programs:

  • Certified Nursing Assistant
  • Early Childhood Education (prior to practicum)
  • Medical Assisting
  • Nursing (ASN and PN)
  • Radiologic Technology
  • Veterinary and Animal Science

Note: Upon acceptance to the program, students in the Veterinary and Animal Science Program must have proof of vaccination against rabies, in addition to all of the immunization record requirements listed above.

Students who want to transfer immunization records from HCC to another college may request it in writing from HCC Health Services.


Holyoke Community College
303 Homestead Ave. Holyoke, MA 01040