Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a global pandemic, first identified in late 2019. We are still learning about this virus, which has infected approximately 40 million worldwide and killed more than 220,000 U.S. citizens to date. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention), WHO (World Health Organization) and other public health agencies urge everyone to take precautions against the transmission of COVID-19:
- Follow the CDC precautions below to prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases.
- Wear a mask in public, and maintain a distance of at least 6 feet from others.
- Stay home if you develop symptoms at any point, and contact your healthcare provider. Do not go directly to your provider's office, but call first to report your symptoms.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
This list does not include all possible symptoms. CDC will continue to update this list as more is learned about COVID-19.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The CDC has established a coronavirus website that includes a wealth of information about transmission, symptoms, prevention and treatment of the virus, as well as situation updates:
HCC is monitoring the outbreak of coronavirus and is working with officials from the CDC and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. We will continue to update this page, and will provide updates via email as needed.