Nursing Student Information
- Individualized tutoring, group tutoring, peer tutoring, and exam prep
- Individualized and group advising (meetings scheduled with your assigned nursing faculty advisor)
- Clinical lab workshops (faculty-run sessions to help remediate learned skills)
- Open lab (offered by the skills lab coordinator for nursing students to practice learned skills)
- Open simulation (offered by the simulation specialist for nursing students to refine and master basic to complex nursing skills)
- Individualized support (access to nursing faculty to brainstorm solutions to personal and academic challenges, and get connected with appropriate resources)
- Nursing Program Day (nursing-specific orientation held after acceptance and prior to starting the program)
- STAT preparation program
- Open House for nursing students' family and friends
- Resource Fair
- Student panel
You can access the Nursing Student Handbook online.
A search of the Office of the Inspector General's sanctions list of individuals and entities excluded from Medicare, Medicaid, and federal health care programs is completed on all nursing students. This search is an important part of screening candidates for healthcare positions to protect the clinical practice settings, staff, and patients.
Orientation for HCC nursing students is separated into three phases:
- First, new students attend Program Day, which occurs the spring semester before you start classes. This is an all-day event where new students get acquainted with their building, faculty, staff, and cohort.
- Second, students have the option to participate in STAT Day. This generally happens toward the end of August prior to your first semester. This is an optional day facilitated by nursing staff. Students focus on math readiness and organizational skills, and listen to guest speakers.
- Lastly, all new students participate in New Student Orientation. This is a mandatory, all-day event held at HCC's main campus. Students can meet other new students outside of their program, learn about campuswide opportunities, and learn more about the campus in general.