Technologies for Learning Remotely
Web & Voice Conferencing
Zoom is HCC's preferred videoconference technology and your instructors will be using this technology to hold synchronous classes. Below you will find information on how you access it and get help if needed. Please note: Approved Zoom meetings (classes, club meetings, events, activities, etc.) may be hosted only by employees of the college. The college does not assume responsibility for unauthorized private meetings among students or non-employees of the college.
Google Hangouts is another way to meet remotely in real time with other students. However, it's important to take steps to keep your meeting secure. Don't post links to Zoom meetings and/or passwords publicly; instead, invite people to sign up for events and only provide access to those with an @hcc.edu email address or known, trusted individuals.
How to Join a Zoom Class or Meeting
- Download Zoom client
- How to join a meeting
- Click here to join a Test Meeting to check your internet connection, audio, speakers, and see how Zoom is set up
- Tips for attending class in Zoom
For tutorials, training videos, presentations and more.
- Loom (record your camera, microphone, and desktop simultaneously, then share your video on the Loom platform. And it's free to students and teachers.)
- Screencastomatic (capture any area of your computer screen, add narration and video)
Tools that make it easy to work with others.
- HCC uses Google G Suite. Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are very similar to Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and can be easily accessed online and shared with others. Google Drive provides file storage that can be private or shared, and files can also be accessed wherever you have an internet connection.
The technology your faculty may be offering -- like Zoom, for example -- is FREE to you. If you have any technology questions, please contact HCC's Multi-Environment Resource Consultants (MERC) students. This team of students is ready to help you with any technology related questions. Click here to contact MERC or email email@example.com. And of course, you always have access to the HCC Help Desk, at 413.552.2075 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Next week, the staff at Help Desk will be offering Zoom/video drop in question and answer sessions for students. Simply click on this link between 11 a.m. - noon, Monday - Friday, to join.