Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has been declared a global pandemic, infecting people in China, Iran, Italy, Europe, and other countries, including the United States. This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation being closely monitored by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention), WHO (World Health Organization) and other public health agencies, and it is important for everyone to take precautions against the transmission of COVID-19. We urge students, faculty, and staff to:
- Follow the CDC precautions below to prevent the introduction and spread of COVID-19 and other respiratory diseases.
- Stay home if you develop symptoms at any point, and contact your healthcare provider. Do not go directly to your provider's office, but call first to report your symptoms.
- Avoid international travel or domestic air travel.
- If you do travel, please let us know using this travel report form.
The CDC states that at this time, symptoms of COVID-19 may appear in as few as two days or as long as 14 after exposure. Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases. The three main symptoms can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
The CDC has established a coronavirus website that includes a wealth of information about transmission, symptoms, prevention and treatment of the virus, as well as situation updates:
HCC is monitoring the outbreak of coronavirus and is working with officials from the CDC and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. We will continue to update this page, and will provide updates via email as needed.