Nursing (Associate & Practical)
Looking for a career that is exciting and in high demand? Want to be challenged and inspired?
HCC's nursing programs prepare professionals to care for people in all aspects of health. Students learn in the state-of-the-art Center for Health Education's multimedia-equipped classrooms and high-fidelity simulation labs. Our faculty members are skilled practitioners, teachers, and mentors who are dedicated to your success. Our community-centered approach combines liberal and technical education both within the college, and in hands-on practicums at regional healthcare facilities.
traditional nursing programs
- Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) program: The two-year Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) program prepares students to take the NCLEX-RN exam and become a registered nurse (RN).
- Practical Nurse (PN) certificate program: The 40-week Practical Nurse (PN) certificate program prepares students to take the NCLEX-PN exam and become a licensed practical nurse (LPN).
- 1 + 1 Program: HCC PN graduates are eligible to apply to the third semester of the ASN program. The 1+1 applicant must apply within two years of completion of the Practical Nursing certificate program. Please follow the application deadlines.
- LPN2RN Program: LPNs who graduated from HCC's PN program more than two years ago or who have received their credential from another institution are eligible for placement into the ASN program.
For admissions requirements, please view our nursing information packet.
Please note: Acceptance to the ASN and PN programs is competitive, and space is limited in both programs. All applicants must attend one of our monthly information sessions. The deadline for application each year is February 1.
Ready to get started? Apply today!
You can access the Nursing Student Handbook online.
The Holyoke Community College Nursing Program mission is to serve the Pioneer Valley and beyond by providing comprehensive, high-quality, evidence-based educational opportunities that are responsive to community health needs and meet the intellectual, esthetic, and practical needs of the diverse nursing student body. The college and nursing program offer a wide range of services appropriate to the nursing program to facilitate the student's success.
associate of science in nursing program outcomes
|HCC-ASN program completion within six semesters (150% of the expected timeframe)||85%||80%||93%||86%|
Student satisfaction with their HCC ASN education (3 out of 5 on likert scale)
|HCC-ASN satisfaction rate||n/a||71%||n/a||n/a|
MA board of nursing nclex-asn first time exam pass rates
|NCLEX-ASN National Average||81.79%||85%||85%||n/a||83.93%|
|NCLEX-ASN MA Average||81.83%||84%||83%||n/a||82.94%|
|NCLEX-ASN HCC Average||77%||85%||77%||n/a||79.66%|
Graduate rate of employment as an ASN (excluding those returning to school)
|HCC-ASN gainfully employed within 6 months||22/22||20/20||16/17||94%|
practical nursing program outcomes
|HCC-PN program completion within six semesters (150% of the expected timeframe)||N/A||80%||83%||81.5%|
Student satisfaction with their HCC PN education (3 out of 5 on likert scale)
|HCC-PN satisfaction rate||100%||100%||100%||100%|
MA board of nursing nclex-pn first time exam pass rates
|NCLEX-PN National Average||82.16%||81.89%||83.7%||82.58%|
|NCLEX-PN MA Average||88.44%||84.84%||85.62%||86.3%|
|NCLEX-PN HCC Average||90%||88%||91%||89.6%|
Graduate rate of employment as an LPN (excluding those returning to school)
|HCC-PN gainfully employed within 6 months||90%||90%||91%||90.3%|
The Simulation Suite at HCC's Center for Health Education is a high-fidelity simulation lab. The nursing simulation specialist, along with two patient simulation technicians, performs several hundred simulations per semester.
The LaMere Simulation Suite consists of four private acute medical surgical patient rooms with working wall suction, working simulated oxygen, and air and bedside patient monitors. This area is home to four Gaumard high-fidelity adult patient simulators that respond physiologically to the student nurse's interventions.
The Moriarty Simulation Suite consists of two semi-private patient rooms. One room is an obstetric and newborn room that houses a Gaumard high-fidelity newborn infant simulator and a Gaumard full body, high-fidelity birthing simulator. The second room is a pediatric room for two Gaumard high-fidelity five-year-old child simulators, as well as another newborn infant simulator.
The Simulation Suite also has a fully functioning medication dispense system similar to that of many local facilities. In addition, the Simulation Suite has computers on wheels that allow students to perform bedside documentation on an electronic medical record system.
HCC's Simulation Suite supports healthcare programs through the use of clinical simulation. The suite provides realistic, risk-free, hands-on clinical learning experiences using current technology, medical equipment, and human patient simulators. The simulation experience promotes greater competency for students and enhances their ability to make critical decisions. With the ability to record and stream all patient rooms, hallways, and the medication station, the students are able to interact during a simulation. The students also have secure online access to their recordings to review their skills. The staff working in the Simulation Suite engage students in realistic clinical scenarios by allowing them to practice technical skills with real equipment and supplies on a human patient simulator.
- Individualized tutoring, group tutoring, peer tutoring, and exam prep (Sessions can be scheduled with the nursing educational specialist, nursing faculty, and peer tutors)
- Nursing Success Hour (Offered by the Nursing Educational Specialist and Coordinator of the Nursing Success Program to at-risk students, oftentimes in the evening, with childcare and food funded by HCC Foundation)
- Individualized and group advising (Meetings scheduled with your assigned nursing faculty advisor)
- Clinical lab workshop (Faculty-run sessions to help remediate learned skills)
- Open lab (Offered by the skills lab coordinator for nursing students to practice learned skills)
- Open simulation (Offered by the simulation specialist for nursing students to refine and master basic to complex nursing skills)
- Individualized support (Access to the nursing success program coordinator, educational specialist and nursing faculty to brainstorm personal and academic challenges and be connected with appropriate resources)
- Nursing Program Day (Nursing-specific orientation held after acceptance and prior to starting the program)
- STAT (Nursing resource team summer preparation program)
- Open House for nursing students' family and friends
- Resource Fair
- Student panels
The Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) Program is approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (MA-BORN).
The Practical Nursing (PN) Program is approved by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing (MA-BORN).
Holyoke Community College is accredited by New England Associates of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
New England Associates of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
3 Burlington Woods Drive, Suite 100
Burlington, MA 01803-4514
The Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) Program is accredited with conditions by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN). The Practical Nursing (PN) Program is in candidacy status from the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).