What is a Learning Community?
A Learning Community (LC) is usually a combination of two courses organized around a common theme. The connection between the subject matter in each course is emphasized so that information and skills learned in one of the courses can be applied to the other courses in the learning community. The same students enroll in all the courses in a learning community and the instructors team teach. Students learn collaboratively and assignments are integrated. At the end of the semester, each student gets a grade and credit for each of the courses that are part of the learning community. .
Fall 2016 Learning Community Courses
Who should enroll in a Learning Community?
New, continuing, returning, or transfer student who are interested in being connected, supported, challenged, and excited during their time at HCC.
Why should you join a Learning Community?
- Improve your chances for academic success.
- Earn higher grades.
- Complete two or more requirements for your degree at one time.
- Connect your learning across courses in collaborative and active ways.
- Enjoy smaller class sizes.
- Improve your critical thinking skills by sharing and connecting topics, ideas and assignments between classes.
- Develop a supportive network of peers, faculty and staff.
- Enjoy closer, more supportive working relationships with professors in and outside class.
- Develop more confidence in your own abilities.
- Practice team-building and communication skills that are transferable to your daily life.
- Make new friends by spending more time with students from different cultures and majors.
- Make studying easier with ready-made study groups.
- Coordinate your homework to save time and stay on-schedule with assignments.
- Get better connected with helpful resources on our campus like the Writing Center, Math Center, Pathways, and tutoring.
- Prepare for transfer and the possibility of scholarships.
- Have fun participating in a wide variety of group, campus, and community activities.
Sample LC Course Offerings
Holyoke Community College (HCC) is now offering a unique professional development program for international faculty scholars interested in the pedagogy and practice of Learning Communities (LC).