STEM Starter Academy
Are you interested in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math)? Want to know more about STEM disciplines, studies, and careers? Register now for HCC's free STEM Academy!
Steps to Enroll if New to HCC
- Fill out the HCC Application.
- Take a placement test for reading and math (you'll receive an appointment by mail).
- Upon completion of your placement test, you will be directed to meet with an advisor. Let them know you're interested in the free STEM Starter Academy courses.
Visit the Advising Center or go to Online Services with your alternate PIN (if required), and let your advisor know you're interested in the free STEM Starter Academy courses.
About STEM Starter Academy
In 2014, HCC and other community colleges received grant funds from the Department of Higher Education to establish a STEM Academy. The purpose was to support community colleges in their efforts to recruit, retain, and graduate significantly more students in STEM pathway programs leading to job placement or college transfer to higher level STEM academic programs.
HCC's STEM Academy goals are to:
- Increase student awareness of and access to STEM programs of study and career opportunities
- Enhance student readiness for and recruiting into STEM pathway programs
- Improve student retention based on academic success and overcoming "life barriers"
- Increase completion through award of certificates or degrees and pathways to STEM jobs or transfer to higher level STEM academic programs
Summer 2017 session II: Free lab sciences & Introductory Algebra (july 10 – august 10)
- STEM Explorations for the Physical Sciences (SEM 130.12 and 13, CRN 20227, 20230): MTW 8:30-12 and R 8:30-1:30
- STEM Explorations in the Life Sciences (SEM 130.10 and 11, CRN 20225, 20226): MTW 8:30 -12 and R 8:30-1:30
- Introductory Algebra (MTH 085.21, 20305): MTW 1-4:20pm
Fall 2017 session II: Free lab sciences
- STEM Explorations for the Physical Sciences (SEM 130.83 and 84, CRN 31335, 31336): MF 11:00-1:29
- STEM Explorations in the Life Sciences (SEM 130.80 and 81, CRN 31641 and 31542): TR 11:30-1:59