After you've been admitted to HCC, the next step is to determine if you are ready to take college-level math or college-level English. Many students do this by taking our placement test, but there are other ways to prove college readiness that can be found on the list below. By submitting documentation (the more, the better!), you may be able to place directly in to college-level math and English courses without having to take the placement test.
|English Placement||Math Placement|
You may turn in unofficial transcripts or score reports by faxing 413.552.2946 or taking a picture and emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org as documentation. Please note that an official transcript is required for transfer of credits through AP or prior college coursework.
If you need to take the HCC Placement Test, we encourage you to take a moment to review what will be covered in the test.
For English placement, you will take a reading comprehension test. This test has 23 multiple choice questions. Download sample reading tests here and here. Following the reading test, you will be asked to write an essay. Please click here to prepare for the essay. Your combined score on reading comprehension and the WritePlacer essay will determine your course placement for English.
For math placement, you will take up to three of these four tests:
- Introductory algebra
- Intermediate algebra
- Advanced functions
We encourage you to prepare for this math placement test by attending a free prep session hosted by HCC's Math Center (register online), or studying the Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 sections of Khan Academy.
virtual placement testing
Holyoke Community College administers the placement test on the Accuplacer platform. The tests are taken on a computer over the internet.
- Apply to Holyoke Community College and obtain a student ID number
- Email email@example.com and provide your name, student ID number, date of birth, and the test you would like to take (English, Math, or both)
- Once the assessment center has received your request, a remote testing voucher will be created. This voucher will be emailed to you and will include instructions on how to proceed. The email will come from ACCUPLACER with a subject line "Remote Voucher Notification."
- Follow the instructions included in your voucher email to register with Examity, and schedule your exam. Testing with Examity is available 24/7. You will need a photo ID and a computer that meets the following requirements:
- Desktop or laptop computer (tablets and Chromebooks are not supported)
- Built-in or external webcam, microphone, and speakers
- 2GB or more of RAM
- Windows 7 or later operating system; Mac OS 10.8 or later
- Browser requirements: Google Chrome v39 or later, Firefox v34 or later, Internet Explorer v8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v6 or later
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Adobe Flash Player must be installed
- Internet connection upload and download speed of 2Mbps
- Test your system requirements here
- Take the exam at your scheduled time with Examity
- Once the exam is completed, you will be emailed your scores in an Individual Score Report
- Contact Advising at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413.552.2722 to set up an appointment to review your scores and select your classes for course registration.