After you've been admitted to HCC, the next step is to determine if you are ready to take college-level math or college-level English. Many students do this by taking our placement test, but there are other ways to prove college readiness that can be found on the list below. By submitting documentation (the more, the better!), you may be able to place directly in to college-level math and English courses without having to take the placement test.
|English Placement||Math Placement|
We encourage you to prepare for the math placement test by utilizing the online self-paced Math Mini Prep Program. Register online with HCC's Math Center to get started!
You may turn in unofficial transcripts or score reports by faxing 413.552.2946 or taking a picture and emailing to email@example.com as documentation. Please note that an official transcript is required for transfer of credits through AP or prior college coursework.
If you need to take the HCC Placement Test, we encourage you to take a moment to review what will be covered in the test.
For English placement, you will take a reading comprehension test. This test has 23 multiple choice questions. Download sample reading tests here and here. Following the reading test, you will be asked to write an essay. Please click here to prepare for the essay. Your combined score on reading comprehension and the WritePlacer essay will determine your course placement for English.
For math placement, you will take up to three of these four tests:
- Introductory algebra
- Intermediate algebra
- Advanced functions
We encourage you to prepare for this math placement test by studying the Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 sections of Khan Academy.
virtual placement testing
Holyoke Community College administers placement tests using the Accuplacer platform. The tests are taken on a computer over the internet.
1. Your information will be automatically sent from the admissions office to the Assessment Center to create your personalized test voucher. This voucher will be emailed to you along with instructions on how to schedule your test.
2. Follow these instructions to schedule your exam. Your test will be proctored either through Zoom or through Examity.
3. You will need a photo ID and access to a computer which meets the following requirements:
- Desktop or laptop computer (tablets and Chromebooks will not work)
- Built-in or external webcam, microphone, and speakers
- 2GB or more of RAM
- Windows 7 or later operating system; Mac OS 10.8 or later
- Browser requirements: Google Chrome v.39 or later, Firefox v.34 or later, Internet Explorer v.8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v.6 or later.
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Adobe Flash Player must be installed
- Internet connection upload and download speed of 2Mbps
- Test your system requirements here
4. Take the exam at your scheduled time. If you need to reschedule your exam, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Once the exam is completed, you will be emailed your scores in an Individual Score Report.
6. Contact Advising at 413.552.2722 to set up an appointment to review your scores and register for classes.