Please note: Tests need to be scheduled ahead of time, as the Assessment Center is generally not open for walk-in services. To schedule an in-person or remote test, please fill out this form. For further questions, email email@example.com or call at 413.552.2015.
After you've been admitted to HCC, the next step is to determine if you are ready to take college-level math or college-level English. Many students do this by taking our placement test, but there are other ways to prove college readiness.
WAIVING THE PLACEMENT TEST
You can send unofficial copies of the documents below to firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you can waive the test.
|English Placement||Math Placement|
SCHEDULING A PLACEMENT TEST
It's important to put your best foot forward and prepare for your placement test! This test will determine whether you can start in college level or developmental courses. (Developmental courses are designed to enhance students' readiness in English and math. Credits from developmental coursework do not count towards graduation.) The placement test can be retaken to see if you can score higher.
If you place into both developmental English and math, we recommend that you check out our free Transition to College & Careers program (TCC).
preparing FOR THE PLACEMENT TEST
The test is a computerized test that is completely untimed except for one section.
- Reading test (untimed)
- 20 multiple choice questions
- To study, create an account for the ACCUPLACER study app by clicking here (Make sure to select the ACCUPLACER Reading option)
- Essay Portion (timed)
- You will be given 60 minutes to write a paragraph response to a prompt
- The essay is not based on factual knowledge, but rather your ability to write a composed and organized essay
- You are expected to write 3-5 paragraphs with a thesis statement, supporting arguments, introduction, and conclusion
- To prepare for the essay, click here
Math Section (untimed)
For math placement, you will take up to three of these four tests:
- Introductory algebra
- Intermediate algebra
- Advanced functions
- Each section has 10 questions
- We encourage you to prepare for this math placement test by studying the Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 sections of Khan Academy, which is a free online tutoring resource
- You can also prepare for this test by using HCC's free Math Prep Programs. Register online with HCC's Math Center to get started! You will need to have access to your HCC email account.
HOW TO TAKE THE PLACEMENT TEST
HCC currently uses the Accuplacer platform to administer the test. You can decide whether you take the test on-campus or on a computer at home. If you decide to take the test at home, you will need a computer that has a working webcam and microphone. (Google Chromebooks cannot be used.)
- Once you fill out the form or email email@example.com to schedule your test, you will be emailed further instructions. Your test will be proctored/monitored either in person if you take the test on campus, or through Zoom if you take the test at home.
- Students testing at home need a photo ID and access to a computer that meets specific requirements. You can test your system requirements here.
- If you need to reschedule your exam, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once the exam is completed, you will be emailed your scores and can then contact Advising to register for classes by emailing email@example.com or calling 413.552.2722!
There is an optional math self-placement test for students who are looking to place into math classes up to Statistics (MTH 142). You can only take this self-placement option once, and your first attempt will be used for placement. Once completed, you will receive your recommended math placement and you can contact the Advising Center to go over your scores.
*Please note that this self-placement is not for students who wish to place into College Algebra or higher.