Steps to becoming a student
Congratulations on choosing Holyoke Community College! We are so excited to have you join our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. On this page, you'll find a checklist with information that will help you navigate your next steps after getting accepted.
If you are Deaf or have a disability and need accommodations to fully access your courses, testing, or technology, make sure that you connect with the Office for Students with Disabilities and Deaf Services (OSDDS). To obtain accommodations, please contact OSDDS at firstname.lastname@example.org immediately following your acceptance to the college and before scheduling your placement testing.
Follow these steps:
- Apply for an FSA ID for the Financial Aid Application (FAFSA). You can do this by clicking here.
- Complete and file the FAFSA online as soon as possible. Make sure to enter HCC's school code: #002710. Our priority deadline is May 1.
- You will receive your financial aid award online after you register for classes.
- Accept the award in your Online Services portal here.
- Email email@example.com with any questions about financial aid at HCC.
Once you've been admitted to HCC, you need to determine course placement before you can register for classes.
For some students this means taking an English and math placement test, but for others, this means sending us documents that may waive the test.
These documents can be:
- High school/college transcripts
- AP test scores
- SAT test scores
- ACT test scores
- GED test scores
- CLEP test scores
Send a picture, screenshot, or PDF of these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org to see if you can waive the test!
For more information on how to study for the placement test and to sign up, please visit hcc.edu/course-placement.
All students new to HCC (or returning after a break) will meet with an advisor to register for classes and to plan your education.
- Once you've determined course placement, you'll be able to register for classes!
- The catalog for online classes for the summer and fall semester is available online
- You can register for classes with your advisor over the phone, by email, or via video chat
- To set up an appointment, please call 413.552.2722
- Please note that information surrounding class registration is subject to change, so make sure to contact the Advising Center for the most up-to-date information.
You will be registered for the required virtual New Student Orientation during your advising appointment.
- Submit your immunization form. All students registered for 12 or more credits are required to provide proof of immunizations.
- Log into email and Online Services. You will get an HCC email once you register for classes – this is the official mode of communication between HCC and you. Check it regularly!
- Pay mandatory tuition and fees. You'll get deadlines for these payments when you receive your class schedule.
- Order your textbooks. Order your books online, and do it early to make sure you have them in time for the first day of classes.
- Attend New Student Orientation. This day is mandatory, and designed to help you make the transition to college and discover the resources HCC offers to ensure our students are successful!