Steps to becoming a student
Congratulations on choosing Holyoke Community College! We recommend you complete the following steps in the order you see them below to make sure you're ready to start strong with us. Required steps are marked with an asterisk (*).
Are you a current student interested in registering for classes? Click here!
Still need to apply? Click here!
Upon acceptance to HCC, each individual is provided an HCC email account. An email with a Student ID number is sent to the personal email address you used to apply to college.
Your HCC email account information is used to access student email, Online Orientation, Canvas, Navigate Student, HCC Mobile, Rave, and the wireless network on campus.
Activating your HCC email account is a very important step to make sure you stay on top of all to-dos. Below is a link to instructions on how to activate your HCC email account.
HCC complies with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Please use your HCC email address when emailing any offices at HCC.
If you are Deaf or have a disability and need accommodations to fully access your courses, testing, or technology, make sure that you connect with the Office for Students with Disabilities and Deaf Services (OSDDS). To obtain accommodations, please contact OSDDS at email@example.com immediately following your acceptance to the college and before scheduling your placement testing.
Follow these steps:
- Create an FSA ID in order to complete the Financial Aid Federal Student Application (FAFSA). You can do this by clicking here.
- Complete and file the FAFSA online at this link as soon as possible. Make sure to enter HCC's school code: #002710. Our priority deadline is May 1.
- You will receive your financial aid award online after you register for classes.
- Accept the award by logging into your Online Services portal here. Instructions on how to access Online Services are here.
- Contact the Financial Aid Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions about financial aid at HCC. HCC complies with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA). Please use your HCC email address when email the offices at HCC.
All students (age 30 and under) registered for 12 or more credits who are taking at least one on-campus class are required to provide proof of immunizations. Submit your immunization form within 30 days of registering for courses. All students in health science programs must supply complete immunization records.
Please read more about immunization requirements.
Once you've been admitted to HCC, you need to determine course placement before you can register for classes. Complete this request form.
For some students this means taking an English and math placement test, but for others, this means sending us documents that may waive the test. These documents can be:
- High school/college transcripts
- AP test scores
- SAT test scores
- ACT test scores
- GED test scores
- CLEP test scores
- Send a picture, screenshot, or PDF of these documents to email@example.com to see if you can waive the test. Make sure these documents are clearly legible and have your names on it!
For more information on how to study for the placement test and to sign up, please visit hcc.edu/course-placement.
New Student Orientation isn't just a day - it's a whole program designed to support YOU!
Our goal is to help you feel informed about starting college, connected to your new community, and confidence in accessing important tools that will help you be as successful as possible. You can rely on Holyoke Community College staff, faculty, and students to have your back every step of the way. We can't wait to meet you and welcome you to HCC!
Log into Online Orientation using your HCC email username (before the @hcc.edu) and the password you set.
All students new to HCC (or returning after a break) will meet with an advisor to register for classes and to plan your education.
- Once you've determined course placement, you'll be able to register for classes!
- The catalog for classes is available online
- You can register for classes with an advisor over the phone, by email, or through Zoom
- To set up an appointment, please call 413.552.2722
- Please note that information surrounding class registration is subject to change, so make sure to contact the Advising Center for the most up-to-date information.
You will be registered for the required virtual New Student Orientation during your advising appointment.
- Log into Online Services*. View your student account, billing, financial aid information, course schedule, and DegreeWorks.
Activating Student Accounts
- Get a Student ID
- Pay mandatory tuition and fees*. You'll get deadlines for these payments when you receive your class schedule.
- Order your textbooks*. Order your books online, and do it early to make sure you have them in time for the first day of classes.
- Request a Bus Pass and/or get a Parking Pass. Students must register their vehicle with Campus Police and display a parking decal to park on campus. More information on how to get to HCC.
- Check out HCC Student Resources