For students, alumni, and employers.
Career Services is a free resource to help students and alumni plan for their futures and advance their careers. We assist with career exploration and decision-making all the way through to strategizing how to successfully achieve career goals.
We will help you to:
- Define your career goals and develop a career plan
- Decide on an appropriate major, education path and/or training program
- Develop effective job search skills (resume, cover letter, interviewing, and networking)
- Identify and apply to employment and career-related opportunities and events
- Build career readiness competencies for a successful transition to employment
Everyone has different life experiences and career goals! We're here to help support you on your career preparation journey!
The mission of Career Services at Holyoke Community College is to assist students and alumni in all phases of their career development and to empower them in making meaningful and fulfilling career decisions in a diverse and global society.
It is the vision of Career Services that students and alumni will become capable, contributing members of the local, regional, and national economy and to become self-supporting individuals that contribute significantly to their families and communities.
Everyone has different life experiences and career goals! We're here to help students and alumni on their journey. While you're a student at HCC, we'll help you create or refine your career plan.
THE CAREER PLANNING PROCESS
STEP ONE: Self-Assessment – Identify Interests, Skills & Experience
STEP TWO: Research Careers
STEP THREE: Find Education & Training Options
- HCC Degrees & Certificates
- HCC Workforce Development Programs
- HCC Free/Subsidized Trainings & Programs
- HCC Academic internships
STEP FOUR: Prepare for Employment (Check Out Our CareerSpots Videos on This Page)
HCC uses Handshake to post jobs and internships for students!
Handshake is a career network and the largest recruiting platform for college students and recent alumni. It is the largest career network in the US with over 1,150 university partners, 17 million students and alumni, and 500,000 employers.
Handshake's Key Features
- Helps you find your dream job
- Built upon an equitable and inclusive search process
- Links you to many career events shared nationwide
- Helps you build a professional network of employers and peers
- Helps HCC Career Services better understand your needs to guide you in advancing your career
- Begin by activating your account and creating a Handshake profile. (All HCC students registered for classes are automatically uploaded to the system which enables them to easily establish Handshake access.)
- Go to your HCC email and search for an invitation from Handshake. Then use your HCC e-mail user credentials to activate your account.
- Complete your profile and Handshake will begin suggesting opportunities for you!
To use Handshake, simply log into joinhandshake.com with your HCC username and password to use your free student profile, connect with employers, and access Career Services events.
Need assistance? Visit How to Complete a Handshake Profile.
We encourage employers to post employment or internship opportunities with their organizations at Holyoke Community College Career Services using the Handshake platform. If you are a Handshake system user, please submit your postings to Holyoke Community College through your Handshake account.
If you are not currently a Handshake user, we invite you to request approval to post your open positions at HCC through Handshake. You may begin this process by registering for Handshake by creating a Handshake account and requesting permission to post at Holyoke Community College.
Additional resources are available to research employment opportunities throughout the Pioneer Valley as well as beyond Western Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut. Use the links below to access the most common job search sites for employment in the Pioneer Valley.
- MassHire Holyoke Career Center
- MassHire Springfield Career Center
- MassHire Franklin Hampshire Career Centers
- MassHire JobQuest
- The Springfield Republican/Masslive.com
- The Daily Hampshire Gazette
- The Hartford Courant/CareerBuilder.com
- Human Service Forum Job Listings
- BusinessWest Resource Guide
- Mentra Neurodiversity as a Competitive Advantage
Thursday, June 16
11 a.m to 2 p.m.
Mass. Department of Conservation and Recreation Job Fair
Holyoke Heritage State Park
221 Appleton St., Holyoke
This is a walk-in eventMany seasonal positions open in Western Mass.
Apply for available positions by visiting MassCareers at https://massanf.taleo.net/
Free career workshops provide opportunities for students to learn about preparing for careers and finding employment. Career Services staff offers a variety of workshops at various times throughout the semester. They are open to all students and alumni.
All workshops are 45 minutes in duration unless otherwise noted. Please note that currently, workshops will be offered virtually through Zoom.
HCC faculty, staff & Student Organizations
If you are interested in scheduling a workshop for your class, department, or student organization, please contact Career Services to set up a date. Workshop requests should be made at least two weeks in advance.
Connecting Majors to Careers: This workshop helps students learn how to proceed if they are unsure about career goals and/or selecting a major. Students will also learn about resources when considering career options.
Resume & Cover Letter: This workshop helps students to understand how to construct a professional resume and cover letter relevant to the position being applied for. (60 minutes)
Job Search Strategies: This workshop will help students to understand ways to search for jobs beyond online postings.
Navigating a Career Fair: This workshop helps students understand best practices in preparing for both a virtual and in-person career fair.
Networking Tools: This workshop will teach students how to build and expand a professional network.
Interview Essentials: This workshop helps students understand best practices and techniques and interviewing for a job.
Completing Your Handshake Profile: Handshake is the premier site for connecting students to a wide variety of jobs and internships. HCC Career Services staff will assist you in getting connected and starting to search for opportunities.
30-Minute Drop-In Career Counseling Sessions: Meet with a career counselor via Zoom! Have your photo ID ready, turn on your camera and audio, and click our Zoom drop-in link. We'll be with you as soon as we can for a private career counseling session!