Certified Nursing Assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant Program Summary
- CNA certification, along with CPR, HHA, and Alzheimer's trainings
- Cost: FREE (if you receive SNAP, TAFDC or other benefits)*
- Hybrid (In-person & Online)
- Five weeks
- Requirements: 18+ years old, high school diploma/HiSET/GED, fully COVID-19 vaccinated, CORI/SORI pass
- After finishing the program, students will get help to find a job in the CNA field
*Additional funding sources: This course may be eligible for funding for qualified Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) & TAFDC recipients. Please contact your SNAP/ TAFDC advisor or contact the HCC Jump Start office at 413.552.2730. Additional funding may be available under other grants.
*Disclaimer: Information is subject to change, Please call the Jump Start office for the most up-to-date information.
Program Description:You will receive the following certifications during this program:
Interested? Please complete the Jump Start inquiry form here or call the Jump Start office at 413.552.2730.
- Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate
- CPR/AED & First Aid Certification
- Home Health Aide (HHA) Training Certificate
- Dementia Certificate
- Alzheimer's & dementia training
- At least 18 years of age
- Massachusetts resident
- Completed high school diploma, HiSET, or GED
- COVID-19 vaccination
- Other medical documentation (see below under Medical Requirements).
- CORI/SORI check
- Drug screening
Please review medical requirements for the CNA program here.
These records are required. Failure to submit the above medical records will result in your being withdrawn from the class.
- The CNA program is free of charge for those receiving SNAP/TAFDC benefits.
- Morning CNA session: Five weeks
- Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. on the HCC campus
- One week of clinical rotation, 8 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. at offsite location
- Evening CNA session: Eight weeks
- Monday through Thursday, 4 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. on the HCC Campus
- One week of clinical rotation, 4 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. at offsite location
- Students will be provided materials through Jump Start. CNA class materials will be available for pick-up at the HCC campus a couple of days prior to class start date. Class supplies include: CNA textbooks, notebook, and stationery.
In-Depth Description About Certificates
CNA & CPR Certificate
The Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) training program will prepare you with entry-level job skills which enable you to take a step in the healthcare field and prepare you for the Massachusetts state board examination for CNA. Along with your CNA certification, you will also receive certification in CPR. With the help of our training, students learn to take care of patients and residents in long term-care facilities. Students will learn the following skills: patient care, patient rights, vital signs, lifting and moving patients, infection control, feeding and bathing, and mental health care of residents.
This program is approved by the MA Division of Health Care Quality.
Major topics will include:
- Vital signs
- Moving & turning patients
- Personal care basics
- Infection control
- Record keeping
- Safety & emergency procedures
- Bed, bath & feeding
- Promoting residents' independence & respecting residents' rights
- Certification exam review
Home Health Aide Training
Students will learn to provide care for a patient at the patient's home after completion of the HHA program. The main focus is personal care and home management for patients, but students will also learn about family issues, meal preparation, social activities, housekeeping, etc. There are also legal and ethical issues, which will be addressed during the HHA course.
Alzheimer's & Dementia Training
Neurological disorders such as Alzheimer's and dementia will be discussed in this training along with personality changes, and physical and emotional changes. Numerous strategies will be discussed regarding working with memory-impaired individuals.
If you are interested, please complete the Jump Start inquiry form here.
Questions? Please feel free to call us at 413.552.2730.