what is biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the use of living organisms or systems to make a variety of products. Examples of this can be the use of bacteria to produce insulin for use in humans, the alteration of plant DNA to create more robust plants, or the development of gene therapy to replace damaged or missing DNA that would otherwise result in a disease-state.
Why Study Biotechnology?
- Massachusetts is one of the biggest hubs for biotechnology in the United States
- Employment by Massachusetts Biopharma employers has shown steady growth of 28% over the last 10 years (see the 2018 Industry Snapshot released by the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council)
- Be a part of an industry that is helping others through the production of medical treatments or medical devices or by being part of the organizations that support this industry!
biotech at hcc
Students in HCC's biotechnology program develop a base in biology along with the ability to apply that knowledge to ways to make products that are beneficial to humans. They develop the fundamental laboratory skills needed to succeed in the field of biotechnology, as well as in many areas of life science research. Upon completion of the program, students are prepared to enter medical device, biomanufacturing, or related fields, or transfer to a four-year institution.
Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the basic biological principles that underlie the field of biotechnology
- Perform common laboratory techniques and calculations relevant to biotechnology
- Collect and analyze experimental results
- Use laboratory equipment safely and properly
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and proper documentation guidelines
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
- Collaborate with others to complete tasks
- Apply critical thinking skills to troubleshoot issues that arise in the lab
Explore biotechnology classes in the online catalog.
Wondering what you'll be able to do with a degree in biotechnology?
- Enter the workforce in laboratory or manufacturing settings. Examples of jobs include laboratory technician, microbiology analyst, and manufacturing technician/associate.
- Continue your education at a four-year institution in biotechnology or the many scientific fields into which biotechnology can be incorporated, including biology, microbiology, genetics, cellular and molecular biology, and engineering.
advantages of a degree in biotech
The biotechnology program at HCC puts a strong emphasis on analytical and laboratory skills, which are used across many disciplines. By the end of the program, students develop a high level of comfort of working in the lab, designing and evaluating experiments, and analyzing data, making them competitive for positions involving laboratory work.
The following schools offer baccalaureate degree programs in biotechnology:
- Westfield State University
- Worcester State University
- UMass Boston
- UMass Lowell
- UMass Dartmouth
- Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
- Northeastern University
- Bay Path University
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Endicott College
HCC has biotech transfer partnerships with the following schools: