Net Price Calculator

These calculators will help you get an estimate of the amount of grant aid you might expect to receive if you attend HCC full-time and meet all federal and state financial aid eligibility requirements.


loan chat

Do you have questions about financial aid or loans? Log on to the Financial Aid Office's Loan Chat, every Tuesday from 2 to 3 p.m.

Federal Work Study

Current federal work study opportunities are now posted online

Explore the links below to find more information about work study jobs at HCC.

Student Employee Handbook

Please click here to download the 2021-2022 Federal Work Study Student Employee Handbook. This will provide you with helpful information regarding the hiring process, eligibility criteria, work schedules, and more.

Supervisor Handbook

Please click here to download the 2021-2022 Federal Work Study Supervisor Handbook. This will provide you with important information regarding hiring, scheduling, and evaluating student employees.

Click here to access HCC's Policy Against Sexual Harrassment.

Click here to access HCC's Policy Against Sexual Violence.

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study is a type of financial aid. It is a federally funded program supplemented by institutional dollars that provides part-time jobs for students with financial need to help them pay for their college-related expenses. This program encourages students to take part in community service work as well as gain experience in the student's courses of study.

Who is eligible for Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study is awarded to students who meet the HCC Priority Deadline and are otherwise eligible. To be considered for a Federal Work Study award, you must submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year; submit all required documents to complete your financial aid file; and be registered for classes by the priority deadline. You must have financial need as determined by federal need-analysis. Lastly, you must maintain good standing in accordance with the College's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

If you are interested in beginning work in the summer term, and you are not enrolled in that summer term, you must have next year's FAFSA completed before the priority deadline to ensure availability of funds.

What kinds of jobs are there? Are jobs guaranteed?

There are both on-campus and off-campus opportunities available, but job placement is not guaranteed. On-campus jobs are in the academic departments and administrative offices.

Community service work is also strongly encouraged. The college has contracts with various public, non-profit organizations in the community in which students can work. These jobs provide services that are designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, or to solve particular problems related the community's needs. Most of the community service jobs are located off campus at local nonprofit organizations.

How do I find a job?

Available Federal Work Study positions can be viewed online.

Before you contact a supervisor for an interview, be sure you have accepted your FWS award on Online Services.  Once you have been offered the position, you will receive your Employment Authorization Form and the FWS Employment Packet via email.  You cannot begin working without these items on file.

What is the rate of pay?

Hourly rates for Federal Work Study positions vary depending on the type of position and the length of time the student has been employed in the position, but are at least the State minimum wage. Students working  before January 1, 2022 will be paid $13.50 per hour. Students working after January 1, 2022 will be paid at $14.25 per hour. Some positions, such as community service, may be eligible for a higher wage. You can earn up to the total amount of your Federal Work Study award.

How will I be paid? Are my earnings taxed?

Federal Work Study earnings are subject to all federal and state income taxes. Students must complete a Federal W-4 form and a State M-4 form prior to beginning employment. You are paid bi-weekly through direct deposit or by check.

How many hours can I work?

The number of hours a student can work depends on his/her award and rate of pay. Sometimes additional hours are available during the summer or other vacation periods, but rarely would total hours exceed 30 per week. A student cannot earn more than the total amount of his or her Federal Work Study award.

Is there a limit on how much can be earned?

Students receive individual work awards based on their particular financial need. The award amount is the student's maximum level of earnings. This means that the student's wages cannot exceed the award amount. Once a student has earned his or her allocated award, he or she is no longer eligible for payment of FWS funding. Generally, however, the supervisor and the student establish a work schedule at the beginning of the work period that will enable the student to work throughout the entire semester.

Can I keep the same job every semester?

Re-hiring is not an automatic process. A FWS student must have his or her supervisor sign a new Student Employment Authorization Form at the beginning of each new employment period (usually the beginning of the semester). Additionally, all financial aid eligibility requirements apply.

Additional Information

U.S. Department of Education

Federal Work Study Community Service is an excellent way for qualified students to work in paid positions that complement academic and career goals. Students can assist in improving the quality of life for local residents in agencies that offer services in areas such as:

  • Health care and child care
  • Literacy training and education (including tutorial services)
  • Welfare and social services
  • Public safety, crime prevention, and control
  • Disability services and elder care
  • Recreation, community, and economic development
  • Immigration services
  • Veterans outreach and civic engagement
  • Emergency preparedness and response

Students and employers of non-profit federal, state, and local public and private agencies find this type of employment to be mutually rewarding and enriching. Students have been placed at a variety of locations:

  • Ascentria Care Alliance
  • The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Holyoke
  • Cancer Connection Thrift Store
  • Casa Latina
  • Dakin Humane Society
  • First Generation Performance Project
  • The Hitchcock Center for the Environment
  • Homework House
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Family Services
  • Mass Audubon Arcadia Wildlife Sanctuary
  • Ronald McDonald House
  • and more!

HCC is always looking to connect with more community organizations. If there is a specific agency you would like to work with, please let us know!

How to Apply

Please click here for our current on campus job openings. 

Students must be eligible for Federal Work Study to apply. Available community service positions can be viewed here.  Interested applicants can contact: 

Diana Rosado - Sr. Financial Aid Counselor

FR 201

(413) 552-2421

Prospective Community Employers: If you are interested in hiring HCC students through the Federal Work Study Program, please contact Diana Rosado at the information above. 


To be employed through the Federal Work Study Program, you must be offered FWS funding on your financial aid award letter. You are required to indicate your acceptance of the award on Online Services at


Participating in the Federal Work Study Program requires that you understand and adhere to it policies and procedures. Please access and carefully read the FWS Student Employee Handbook at   


Please read the information included in this packet thoroughly and provide initials and signatures where required. You must complete and return all of these forms to the Financial Aid Office. You will not be approved to work without submission of these forms.

USCIS Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9): Complete Section 1 and submit with proof of identification, as listed on the form, to the Financial Aid Office. Original forms of identification must be brought to the office (copies of these items are not acceptable).

Form W-4 and Form M-4

FWS Student Employee Confidentiality Agreement

FWS Student Employee Responsibilities Agreement

FWS Student Employment Authorization Form: Pick up this form at the Financial Aid Office. This authorization contains information about your award which will help a prospective supervisor determine the number of hours you will be allowed to work each week. Each supervisor has been assigned a specified department budget, therefore you may be asked to work fewer hours than your award would normally allow. This authorization must be signed by you and your hiring supervisor and returned to the Financial Aid Office before you will be approved to begin working.


Review the job postings to determine what jobs you are interested in pursuing. Current job openings are available online at


Schedule an individual appointment to meet with the supervisors of any jobs you are applying for. The contact information to schedule an interview, is available on each posting. After a supervisor has hired you for a job, complete and submit the FWS Student Employee Authorization Form. You will be sent an email to your HCC email account confirming your approval to begin working, including you HCC employee ID number. You may not begin working until you have received this email.

Net Price Calculator

These calculators will help you get an estimate of the amount of grant aid you might expect to receive if you attend HCC full-time and meet all federal and state financial aid eligibility requirements.


loan chat

Do you have questions about financial aid or loans? Log on to the Financial Aid Office's Loan Chat, every Tuesday from 2 to 3 p.m.