NSF Scholarship in STEM
HCC students, you may be eligible for a significant scholarship and a chance to join our exciting STEM learning community!
The National Science Foundation Scholarship offers on average $10,000 per year for full time students and prorated amounts for part time students (determined by the student's FAFSA). NSF scholarships are for biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, physics, pre-veterinary, and other STEM disciplines.
Students chosen for this scholarship will become members of HCC's STEM Scholars 2.0 Program also known as SCoRE (STEM Cohorts for Research & Engagement). STEM Scholars are expected to maintain enrollment in a STEM program, be in good academic standing (based on HCC's policies), complete an associates degree at HCC, and/or transfer to an accredited STEM degree program at a four-year institution. And the scholarships are renewable every year as long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria!
Beside the financial awards, STEM Scholars become part of a learning community that fosters a sense of belonging and academic success, and includes mentoring, research, and honors experiences; community service; and internships. Scholars are required to complete a one-credit STEM seminar and attend several STEM events during each semester in which they are enrolled in the program.
An NSF STEM scholarship recipient must:
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Be enrolled in one of the following STEM programs: Biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering, environmental science, mathematics, physics, pre-veterinary, or other STEM disciplines
- Be enrolled at least half time
- Maintain a GPA of 2.7 or higher in high school or in courses completed at HCC (developmental courses will be included in GPA calculations)
- Demonstrate financial need by completing a FAFSA
Application must include:
- A completed application form (see above)
- A personal essay describing your interest in STEM, why you would make a good candidate for this scholarship, your career goals, and what your plans are for accomplishing these goals
- A copy of your most recent HCC transcript or most recent high school transcript (if entering HCC)
- A copy of your FAFSA and other financial aid documents
- Two letters of reference from people who can speak to your academic merit (at least one should be from a STEM teacher or professional if possible)
Criteria for Evaluation
Major consideration will be given to academic talent and potential, as demonstrated by the applicant's GPA, transcripts, and recommendation letters. The applicant's participation in community activities (e.g., service learning, HCC student clubs, extra-curricular programs, and hobbies) will be evaluated for demonstration of interest, motivation, and commitment. Communication skills as demonstrated in the personal essay and in a possible interview with STEM faculty will also be considered. The amount awarded will be based on need determined by the student's FAFSA.
The deadline to apply for the fall 2022 semester is August 1, 2022. Students will be notified by August 20.
Students recruited for the scholarship program will be required to attend the STEM Scholars' Seminar during fall 2022 semester, which will be held Fridays from 2:30 -3:29 p.m.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the program coordinators: