Service Learning is an educational initiative in which students complete a project in the community that directly relates to the objectives of a course and meets the needs of a community-based organization.
Service Learning works to:
- Engage students in community-based projects that deepen their understanding of the course content and objectives
- Give faculty a vehicle for helping students see how theory and text manifest in reality
- Create a project that benefits the community organization in some ongoing, sustainable way
Faculty Fellows Program
The purpose of this program is to support a faculty member-or a Learning Community who share a course-in developing a new service learning course or redesigning an existing course to incorporate student service to the community. Faculty receive a course reassignment or stipend to develop a service-learning project for a course in a cohort setting.
Service Learning Practicum
Service Learning Practicum (SSN 102) is a one-credit course that can be added on to any course with a service-learning component. Faculty receive an added credit to their course load, and students pay for the extra credit.
Service Learning is an educational initiative in which students complete a project in the community that directly relates to the objectives of a course and meets the needs of the community-based organization. A variety of partners and projects have been able to enrich the educational experineces of our students.
Service Learning Community Partners
Projects are created collaboratively with a community partner – any project is possible!
- Holyoke Food Fitness Council
- Nuestras Raices
- The Care Center
- Holyoke Boys & Girls Club
- Girls INC
- Reach Out & Read
- Springfield Schools Volunteers
- MSPCC/Halo Center
- Western MA Elder Care
- Geriatric Authority
- Kate's Kitchen/Margaret's Pantry
- Gandara Center
- The Trustees of Reservations
Some examples of HCC Service Learning projects:
- An Earth Science course in which students test waters for nitrates and report/present their findings to the Connecticut River Valley Watershed Council
- An English and human services Learning Community in which students learn about writing as a tool for healing and self-discovery, and then work with teen mothers studying poetry at the Care Center
- A web design course during which students design new websites for community-based organizations in Holyoke
- An English and sociology Learning Community on teen pregnancy in which students learn about poetry alongside teen mothers studying at the Care Center, and design an assessment tool for a teen pregnancy prevention program at the Holyoke Boys & Girls Club
- A robotics course in which students instruct the youth at the Holyoke Boys & Girls Club in the designing, building, and programming of robots
- A nutrition course in which students create an activity, a healthy recipe, and content for a lesson plan that teaches a nutritional concept to children at the Holyoke and Westfield Boys & Girls Clubs
- A marketing course in which students break into teams. One team completes a much-needed marketing plan/strategy for developing a new retail store run by Providence Ministries, the other team creates a much-needed survey for the Holyoke YMCA
- A nursing course in which students partner with the Holyoke Health Center's initiative that links literacy and health under Reach Out & Read
Service Learning Practicum
Service Learning Practicum (SSN 102) is a one-credit course that can be added on to any course with a service-learning component. Faculty receive an added credit to their course load and students pay for the extra credit.
SERVICE LEARNING IN 2020
HCC's Service Learning program is working to support our community.
SERVICE LEARNING AT HCC
Service Learning programs bring classrooms to the community.